Thursday, February 25, 2010

100-year-old Doctor Still Delivering Babies

Today on 9NEWS at 6pm, we had a Baton Rouge woman celebrating her 107th birthday. She's seen everything from the first flight, the first crayon and has seen 18 presidents in the White House (Teddy Roosevelt to Barack Obama).

Lately I've been having a complex about getting old. I know, I know. I'm only 24, but turning 25 in a few weeks is like turning 50 to me. I simply don't want to get old. I like being my age. After my grandfather died last summer ... getting older has meant dealing with more death, dealing with more aches and pains and dealing with more independence. Sigh.

But then I saw a story on CNN ... a doctor who just made 100 and still practicing medicine. How amazing. How fortunate!

Dr. W.G. Watson started practicing medicine in 1947, delivering between 16,000 to 18,000 babies over his near 60-year career. Dr. Watson still makes house calls and still goes to work everyday.

Getting old might not be bad after all!


No comments:

Post a Comment