Sunday, March 7, 2010

Time for the Oscars (Time for Predictions)

The 82nd Annual Academy Awards are tonight, and I'll actually get to watch! Last year I was waking up for work as the winner for best picture was crowned! I'm not really looking forward to watching the nearly four hours of awards (although I'm excited about hosts Steve Martin & Alec Baldwin), but I'm hoping some of my favorites will win.

Do you remember who won Best Picture last year? I honestly couldn't remember until I looked it up and saw that "Slumdog Millionaire" won the Oscar. That telecast was three hours and 30 minutes long. The longest Academy Awards broadcast was in 2002 (four hours and 23 minutes). The host was Whoopi Goldberg (who has hosted four times) and the best picture winner was "A Beautiful Mind."

This is the first year since 1943 that ten movies are nominated for best picture. Producers are hoping the move will draw bigger audiences (traditionally people watch to root for an underdog). And this year's best picture winner could make history as well.

"Avatar," "District 9" and "Up" would be the first science fiction or animated films to win the best picture award ... and "Avatar" is a favorite to take the top prize.

I'm all for seeing history made, but I'm rooting for something different. I'm hoping "The Hurt Locker," "The Blindside" or "Inglourious Basterds" wins. Something a little different. (But I wouldn't be upset of "Up" won ... it was a great movie.)

My predictions:
  • Best Picture: "The Hurt Locker"
  • Best Actor: Jeff Bridges
  • Best Actress: Sandra Bullock
  • Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow
  • Best Animated Film: "Up"
  • Best Original Song: "The Weary Kind (Theme from 'Crazy Heart')"

No comments:

Post a Comment