Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Decoding What the "American Idol" Judges Really Mean

Didn't get it, Yo Dawg, Didn't work for me, I'm a fan of yours ... these are all phrases you'll hear each and every week on "American Idol."

CNN did a great job decoding what these phrases really mean. If you have ever watched "Idol," then you'll get a good laugh!

When Simon says ...
"You didn't do anything different with the song." What he really means is "I am incredibly bored right now. Thank goodness they pay me so much money to sit here and listen to this."

"You are a Broadway singer." What he really means is "At this point, I have absolutely no idea how in the world we would market you if you were to win."

"I didn't love the song, but you sang it very well." What he really means is "That wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated."

When Kara says ...
"You have a great radio voice." What she really means is "It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if you won this competition."

"That was authentic. I felt it" What she really means is "You were able to cover that song without sounding like a bad karaoke rip-off."

"Part of the problem is that you haven't figured out who you want to be as an artist yet" What she really means "You haven't been able to take the extremely confusing critiques we have been giving you and synthesize that into giving us exactly what we want."

When Randy says ...
"I don't know. That just didn't work for me." What he really means is "That was awful, and I know you can do better than that."

"Dawg listen, the song was a little bit too big for you." What he really means is "You don't have that great of a voice to even go there."

"Yo, that was dope!" What he really means is "Yo, that was dope!"

When Ellen says ...
"You are adorable" What she really means is "You might want to start thinking about a career in acting instead of music."

"You have such a great personality!' What she really means is "You are cute, but not as adorable as some of the others so let's focus on some of your better attributes, shall we?"

"You know I am a fan of yours ..." What she really means is "I am about to deliver a comment that should be harsh, but because I am so nice I will completely sugar-coat it."

And while Ryan Seacrest isn't a judge, he's got a bit of code speak in him also.
When Ryan says ...

"Do you agree with what the judges just said?" What he really means is "Give us a juicy, biting quote about the judges, Simon in particular, so I can blow it completely out of proportion."

No comments:

Post a Comment